Where is modern civilization heading?

As a society are we heading in the same direction as the ancient Romans? If so the question becomes.......

Are our leaders fiddling while civilization burns?

While we ponder the question I will post my personal thoughts on this blog. Often I will focus on current events that catch my interest, however I am not and do not pretend to be a news organization. I'm simply a guy with his own thoughts on issues that I believe affect our country and society.

Be forewarned, I have been accused of being a right wing thinker and if that is offensive please move on. Remember, this is my blog and my opinions, and unlike many facets of our already over-governed modern society they are not being forced on anyone.


However, please feel free to leave your comments, good, bad or indifferent, after all this is a free society we live in (at least for now).

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Wisdom from Canada's best and brightest? You be the judge

After posting yesterday about John Crosbie and his unique brand of wisdom I got to thinking it might be interesting to further explore Canada's political braintrust over the years.  So after doing some research on the internet (isn't it grand?) I found literally hundred's of pearls of wisdom that have come from the lips of Canadian politicians. I sifted through them for ones that truly reflected the intelligence of the speaker so here goes nothing......
  • "As longs as I'm saying what I really think, I'm prepared to stand by it"
    Vancouver Sun 1983, Kim Campbell (Short term PM,  AKA Mulroney Sacrificial Lamb)
  • "I'm not going to play politics on the floor of the House of Commons"
    House of Commons 1987, John Turner (Short Term PM, AKA Trudeau Lap Dog)
  • "Popularity is bad for you..I try to avoid it like the plaque, and I've been reasonably successful"
    Election Campaign 1992, Brian Mulroney (PM for 3 terms, for the most part 2 and a bit too many)
  • "My strategy has always been to stay on course unless a change, of course is announced. And if it is, of course, we will announce it"
    Speaking about his governments economic policy 1984, John Turner PM ( see above for character description)
 Had enough "wisdom" yet..... If not there is more to follow

  • "The budget is stimulative. It is less stimulative than if it had been more, but it is more than if it had been less"
    1982 Pierre Trudeau PM, Speaking to reporters about his governments budget.
  • "To the young members of parliament who have just come in, I would say that for the first six months you are here you will wonder how you got here. Then after that you will wonder how the rest of the members got here."
    House of Commons speech 1968, John Diefenbaker PM
  • "I don't know, a proof is a proof. What kind of a proof is a proof? A proof is a proof and when you have a good proof it's because it's proven"
    2002 Jean Chretien PM, Explaining what evidence would prove the existence of WMD's (weapons of mass destruction) in Iraq
 
  • "You don't need brains for this job, just physical stamina"
    1989 Audrey McLaughlin, Former NDP Leader
  • "Fuddle Duddle"
    1971 Pierre Trudeau
    (there is some debate as to whether this quote can accurately be attributed to Mr Trudeau....Read More)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at Dwindling Empire we welcome your comments. Although we ask that you refrain from profanity, sexist, racist, or comments of a sexual nature.

However you can poke fun at Frustrated Joe all you want, but we warn you if your going to disagree with him try to do so with some facts, this will garner you a lot more respect from everyone.
Greatly Appreciated